What is a Strong Password?Estimated Reading Time: 1 Minutes
What is a strong Password?
A strong password is critical to keeping your information safe, in general a longer simpler password is safer than a short complicated password. A strong password must:
- Eight characters or more characters long.
- Contain at least three of the following:
- Upper case characters (A,B,C,D)
- Lower case characters (a,b,c,d)
- Numeric characters (1,2,3,4)
- Special characters (#,^,$,!)
As a general rule of thumb a different password should be used for different log-ins (ex. don't use your student log-in password for your personal email). It is also considered a best practice to change your password periodically. A password manager such as LastPass or KeePass can be used to help manage large numbers of long secure passwords.