Faculty - Creating Adaptive Release Advanced Rules
Faculty - Creating Adaptive Release Advanced Rules for a Blackboard Test
Adaptive Release Advanced rules allow your to distribute content or assessments to your students based on one or more of the following criteria:
There are different scenarios of when you would want to apply adaptive release advanced rules. For example, a student can't not take an online exam during the set date range the exam is open or a student cannot use the Respondus LockDown software that you normally use for your online exams. Essentially, you can apply these rules for any thing that you post in Blackboard.
There are two main steps to setting the adaptive release rules.
Step 1: Create a copy of the test
- Click on Course Tools located under Course Management.
- Scroll down and click on Test, Surveys and Pools.
- Click Test.
- Click the arrow next to the test that you want to copy and select Copy.
A copy of the test or quiz will now show in your list here showing that it has not been deployed to a content area within your course.
Navigate to the content area in the course where you want your student(s) to access this and deploy it there. Here are instructions on how to deploy a test/quiz. https://kb.mc3.edu/article.php?id=637
Note: You will want to make the test unavailable to the students within the test options. You can adjust this after applying the adaptive release advanced rules in step 2 below.
Step 2: Create the Adaptive Release Advanced Rules
After deploying the copy of the test to a content area, you can apply the adaptive release rules.
- Navigate to the content area in your course where you deployed the test.
- Click the arrow to the right of your exam and select Adaptive Release Advanced.
- The Adaptive Release Advanced page displays. Click Create Rule. Click Create Rule.
- Give the rule a name and click Submit.
- You will see the name of the rule you created displayed next to Manage Criteria. Now you need to set up the criteria. Click on Create Criteria and select Membership.
- Click Browse next to Username.
- If the list of your students do not appear, change the Search field from Username to either First Name or Last Name and then type the first or last name of the student. The list of user(s) or that particular student will display. Click the checkbox to the left of the user/student that you want to add to this membership and click Submit.
- Now that the membership has been established, we need to determine the date and time range the test will need to be available for the student(s). Click Create Criteria and select Date.
- Click the check boxes next to display after and display until and then click on the calendar icon and clock icon to select the date and time range that this will be visible to the students in this membership.
- Click on Submit.
- Now your criteria is displayed on this screen. click Ok to return to the content area.
- Edit the test settings on the copy of the test that contains the adaptive release advanced rules and make the test available to the students. Here is a link on how to do that (see step 5 and ensure no date range has been set in step 10). https://kb.mc3.edu/article.php?id=634
Note that this will only be available to the students for the membership and date range selected in the adaptive release advanced options.
- An additional column will be created in the Grade Center for this copy of the test. Edit that Grade Center column and make sure the test options as shown below are set to No and then click on Submit.
- After the students complete this version of the test, transfer their grades to the original column in the Grade Center for that test.
Article ID: 8230
Created On: Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 11:57 AM
Last Updated On: Thu, Jan 6, 2022 at 10:05 AM
Online URL: https://kb.mc3.edu/article/faculty-creating-adaptive-release-advanced-rules-8230.html