Faculty - Flipgrid: Monitoring and Participating in Topic Discussions
Faculty - Flipgrid: Monitoring and Participating in Topic Discussions
- Locate the Grid that contains the topic you wish to participate in and/or monitor. As a reminder, you can access your Grids under the "My Grids" tab at the top of your page.
- Once on your Grid page, click the the Grid title that contains the topic you wish to participate and/or monitor.
- Next, click the topic title you wish to join/monitor.
Monitoring Topic Discussions
- Once in a topic, you will see all the initial videos and replies that have been posted. The initial video has the author's name in bold type while a reply to an initial video is preluded by a green arrow.
- Each video, initial or reply, comes with its own Flip Code and set of management options. For each video you can set the status as active or inactive (this makes the video disappear from a student's view).
- Sharing: You can share a specific video (initial or reply) with your class or another class. For "Share with your Class", this will require students to authenticate again and then they will be taken to the specific video you chose to share. Once they click out of the video, they will be taken to the Topic (discussion) the video appears in. This gives them the ability to participate in that Topic discussion. You may use this feature if you want to call out a particular initial post or reply and generate future discussion around that specific video. If you want to have students watch a particular video but not have access to a Topic (discussion) or ALL videos then choose "Share with Families". You may use this feature when you want them to view another student's response in another section or a copilot or guest video.
- Actions: This drop down gives you further options to manage individual videos.
4a: Edit Response - As an administrator of this Topic, you can edit basic information about the participant such as their display name.
A: Share - Contains the same features as mentioned in the Share above.
B: Status - You can select whether the video will remain active or inactive.
C: Actions - You can access the same features for each video that are available from the main Topic page Actions drop down box. See Actions drop down above.
D: Vibe - You can enter a phrase such as "Great job!" or "Interesting View!" and it will appear where the "Leave a Vibe" currently sits above the person's head. Students will see these vibes on the videos in the discussion.
E: Feature this response - This puts a star on the video in the student view and pulls this video to the front of the list (first video on left) to call it out to students. You can share with students in a communication that the videos you feature are videos you felt were well done or videos you wish for them to view.
F: Spark this response: See below.
G: Add response to MixTapes: See below.
H: You can click the green conversation button to create a reply to this video.
I: Any reply videos will appear next to the reply button and you can view them by selecting them individually.
4b: Add to MixTapes - This adds a specific video that you thought stood out to a publicly available space. It does not delete the original video. It is always a best practice to ask for permission before sharing a video in a public space.
4c: Spark Response - If there is a particular video you wish to use to start a new conversation or generate more conversation, you can "Spark" the video and it will create a new Topic (discussion) using the student video as the Topic Resource. You have the availability to edit the Topic settings.
4d: Move Response - This allow you to move a specific video from one Grid to another Grid or one Topic to another Topic. It will remove the video from its original placement.
4e: Duplicate Response - This allows you to create a carbon copy of a specific video and place it in the same Grid/Topic or another Grid/Topic. The original video will remain in place.
4f: Download Video - This allows you to download a video as an MP4.
4g: Download Selfie - This allows you to download the selfie image as a .jpg.
4h: Delete Response - This allows you to delete a video response (initial or reply). If you wish to not lose the response, you may chose to make it inactive so it appears for you but not your students.
Participating in a Topic Discussion
- To join a topic discussion, locate the topic you wish to join and click the Flip Code. This provides you with a student view.
- You will be asked to authenticate. Choose "Log in with Microsoft".
You should now see all initial videos that have been posted to the topic. You can click on any of those initial videos to watch them and view any video replies.
- To create a video and join the discussion, select the green plus button with the words "Tap to Record" below.
- A pop-up box will appear that will allow you to begin recording. You can select the pink circle in the center to start/pause your recording. The time in the top right will count down so you know how much recording time you have remaining. Below the timer is a white notepad image. Selecting this will allow you to re-review the topic discussion prompts/descriptions.
5a: Timer - The timer will count down so you know how much recording time you have remaining.
5b: Prompts/descriptions - Selecting this white notepad image, you will be able to re-review the topic discussion prompts/descriptions.
5c: Starting over - Selecting this trash can image will allow you to delete your current video and start again.
5d: Notes - Selecting the Stickie image will pop up a yellow sticky for you to record notes in preparation for your video recording. These notes are only visible to you while you are recording and will not be posted anywhere.
5e: Start/Pause recording - Selecting this pink circle in the middle will allow you to start or pause your recording.
5f: Next - Selecting the green arrow (Next) will complete your recording and move you onto the next steps of saving and posting your recording to the Topic discussion.
- After selecting the Next arrow, you will then be taken to the edit screen. Here, you have a few capabilities to help finalize your video.
6a: Timestamp - This show you the timestamp of where you are in the video.
6b: Prompts/descriptions - Selecting this white notepad image, you will be able to re-review the topic discussion prompts/descriptions.
6c: Download - Selecting this down arrow allows you to download a .webm file that allows you to play the video in a web browser.
6d: Starting over - Selecting this trash can image will allow you to delete your current video and start again.
6e: Notes - Selecting the Stickie image will pop up a yellow sticky for you to record notes in preparation to add more footage to your video. These notes are only visible to you while you are recording and will not be posted anywhere.
6f: Title - You can add a title to your video (ex. About me!), which will appear under your name once the video is posted.
6g: More time - If you did not use all your recording time, you have the option to add more footage to your video. If this option is selected, you will be taken back to the original recording screen to add more footage. Use the blue scroll bar above to select the spot you wish to add more footage.
6h: Attach - This allows you to attach a link to your video (ex. mc3.edu). Uses may include providing a link to a website or article referenced in your video. This link will appear as a paperclip in the bottom right when your video is opened in the discussion.
6i: Edits - Use the two scissors to the left and right of the blue scrub bar to cut out selected sections of your video in the beginning or the end. "
6j: Next - Select the next button to move onto posting your video once you have finished editing.
- Next you will be prompted to Snap a Selfie, which will appear as a still image to your video. You can click the pink camera button to snap your selfie or you can choose the gear image for additional options. Under options, you can select a frame from your video that will become your selfie image or import an image to become your selfie. You can adjust the image once it is imported.
One you have decided on your selfie, if enabled, you can add overlays to your picture or draw on your picture. Once finished, you can select the green submit button in the bottom right to submit your video to the Topic discussion. You will also have the option to download the video or selfie at this stage (you can download at a later time if needed as well).
Congratulations! You have now posted a video and joined the Topic discussion.