MCCC Knowledge Base

Faculty - Weighting your grade center via points

2019

Faculty - Weighting your grade center via points

Do you currently use the Weighted Total column in your grade center to weight your grade book? Do you find it cumbersome to set up or do you question the accuracy at times? Below, you will find another way to consider weighting your grade center that bypasses the need to set up the weighted total column. 

The Blackboard grade center is based off points. Even if you are weighting your grade center through the Weighted Total column, you must enter points for any grade center columns. Imagine your grade center is weighted by the following:

Category Weight  
Assignments 20%
Discussions 30%
Exams 15%
Final Project 25%
Attendance 10%
Total 100%   


Within those Categories the assessments appear as follows:

Assignment Name Category
Short Paper Reflection Assignment
Cultural Event Paper Assignment
Introductions Discussion
Painting Debate Discussion
Evaluating the Romanticism Era Discussion
How do impressionist paintings reflect Word Events?   Discussion
Exam 1 Exams
Exam 2 Exams
Final Project Final Project 
Attendance Attendance
Total n/a


Now, figure out how many  total points you want your classroom to reflect. Five hundred (500) points is a great place to start. Assuming the classroom is 500 points, begin to assign individual points to each of your assessments. 


Equal Weighting Example

Equal weighting means that each assessment in a category earns the same weight. In the table below, you will see that each category is assigned an equal weight among the category items. For example, there are four discussions and each of them are weighted at 7.5% for a total of 30% (which matches the very first table above). 

Assignment Name Points  Weight  Category
Short Paper Reflection 50 10% Assignment
Cultural Event Paper 50 10% Assignment
Introductions 37.5 7.5% Discussion
Painting Debate 37.5 7.5% Discussion
Evaluating the Romanticism Era 37.5 7.5% Discussion
How do impressionist paintings reflect Word Events?   37.5 7.5% Discussion
Exam 1 37.5 7.5% Exams
Exam 2 37.5 7.5% Exams
Final Project 125 25% Final Project 
Attendance 50 10% Attendance
Total 500 100%    n/a

 


Proportional Weighting Example (Discussions and Exams)

Proportional weighting means that assessments within a category carry different weights. In the table below, notice that the discussions are not weighted equally and the exams are not either. Two of the discussions below are 5% while the other two are 10%, which still equals 30% (which matches the very first table above). For the exams, one is 5% and another 10% for a total of 15% (which matches the very first table above. 

Assignment Name Points Weight Category
Short Paper Reflection 50 10% Assignment
Cultural Event Paper 50 10% Assignment
Introductions 25 5% Discussion
Painting Debate 25 5% Discussion
Evaluating the Romanticism Era 50 10% Discussion
How do impressionist paintings reflect Word Events?  50 10% Discussion
Exam 1 25 5% Exams
Exam 2 50 10% Exams
Final Project 125 25% Final Project
Attendance 50 10% Attendance
Total 500 100% n/a


To recap, notice that each category weight percentage (when added together per category) equals the total weighted percentage showcased in the first table.  From here, you would assign each grade center column (assessment) the individual points you calculated. Once all grade book columns are assigned points, your grade book is now weighted. You do not need to have a Weighted Total column in your grade center and can simply keep the Total column for students to track their progress. 

 

Attached Files
There are no attachments for this article.
Comments
There are no comments for this article. Be the first to post a comment.
Name
Email
Related Articles RSS Feed
Faculty - How to Align Goals to Grade Center Column in Blackboard (General Education Core Goals)
Viewed 9912 times since Thu, Jan 24, 2019
Faculty - Setting Up your Grade Center: Total Video
Viewed 3180 times since Fri, May 11, 2018
Faculty - View Grade Details in the Blackboard Grade Center
Viewed 5631 times since Thu, Apr 23, 2015
Faculty - Student Preview Mode: Video
Viewed 3336 times since Fri, May 11, 2018
Comprehensive Grading (Student Assessment)
Viewed 3246 times since Fri, Dec 21, 2018
Faculty - Clearing a Student’s Attempt in the Blackboard Grade Center
Viewed 4848 times since Tue, Apr 28, 2015
Faculty - Calculating Extra Credit in Blackboard
Viewed 6558 times since Thu, Apr 23, 2015
Faculty - Blackboard Grade Center: Delete a Column
Viewed 7115 times since Tue, Apr 28, 2015
Faculty - Adding Comments to a Student Grade in the Blackboard Grade Center
Viewed 5191 times since Tue, Apr 28, 2015
Faculty - Download Grades from the Blackboard Grade Center to Excel
Viewed 4719 times since Tue, Apr 28, 2015

Need Help?