Setting up Android for Encryption
Setting up Android Encryption
To configure your Android for encryption do the following:
Encryption provides additional protection in case your device is stolen and may be required or recommended in some organizations. Consult your system administrator before turning it on. In many cases, the PIN or password you set for encryption is controlled by the system administrator.
Before turning on encryption, prepare as follows:
- Set a lock screen PIN or password. Click here to find out how!
- Charge the battery above 80%.
- Plug in your device.
- Schedule an hour or more for the encryption process: you must not interrupt it or you will lose some or all of your data.
When you’re ready to turn on encryption:
- Touch Settings > Security > Encryption > Encrypt tablet or Encrypt phone.
- Read the information about encryption carefully.
The Encrypt tablet or Encrypt phone button is dimmed if your battery’s not charged or your device is not plugged in. If you change your mind about encrypting your device, touch the Back button.
Warning: If you interrupt the encryption process, you will lose data.
- Touch Encrypt tablet or Encrypt phone.
- Enter your lock screen PIN or password and touch Continue.
- Touch Encrypt tablet or Encrypt phone again.
The encryption process starts and displays its progress. Encryption can take an hour or more, during which time your device may restart several times.
When encryption is complete, you’re prompted to enter your PIN or password.
Subsequently, you must enter your PIN or password each time you power on your device, to decrypt it.